Monday, May 5, 2014

String Globe Decorations, Eggs, or Spheres of Awesome DIY

A few weeks ago, I got my craft on to decorate the outside of our house.
The result was fantastic, however, I recommend not using these marvelous "eggs" or "spheres of awesome" as outdoor decorations.
They will fall apart in the wind, rain, hail, snow, and mother nature's fury or that could just be Montana.



 You will need:
  • String in your designated colors of joy
  • Glue and flour to create a lovely paste
  • Some tap water
  • Bowl to mix this greatness
  • Balloons
  • Scissors
  • Paper towels or parchment paper to cover your surface


Helpful hint: See that glorious multicolor string? It didn't work so well with the balloons. I recommend using the other singular colors.


Blow up your balloons into your designated shape.  I wanted mine to be egg-like so they are pretty much at full capacity, however, if you want them to be smaller-use less air.


I experimented quite a bit with this.  For some balloons I used solely flour and water.  For others I used flour + glue + water.  I really like that last mixture.  It lasted through several of Montana's hellacious weather escapades.



 Cut several strands of string of various lengths and make sure they soaked in mixture.  Use your fingers to strain excess from them.



 Start tying around the balloon. 


Have your balloons sit out for at least 24 hours.  Mine sat out like this for 3 days.

 
Pop the latex balloon and voila- you have this glorious string egg or sphere or awesome.
 
They looked awesome outside but for all that work, I don't recommend leaving them out there.  If used indoors, it would make an amazing party decoration.
If you liked this post, share it with others! If you feel particularly moved by it, leave a comment because I love feedback and discussion. Social media links are provided below and thanks for reading!
 photo signature_zpsc0b51015.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment